I have just uploaded my most recent app to the iTunes app store for approval and sale. The app combines two pieces of music I wrote specifically for it, drifting away and falling upwards with some simple visual prompts which guide the user through a series of muscle activities which promote relaxation.
I’ve been using the procedure myself since I heard it described on the radio many, many years ago as “Saying goodnight to my toes …” or similar.
Except at times of extreme duress, exams I’ve not properly prepared for, family illnesses and such, it’s always worked for me.
You can read about it here should you wish.
I’ve been building this for a while, as part of an app I’m trying to get together to help people get to sleep. The app will combine this track, possibly along with Drifting Away, with suggested exercises and techniques to promote muscle relaxation and general calm.
As with so much in life, I find, the most difficult thing in writing a piece of music is to get started. I have been playing for some time with tools that can generate, to a greater or lesser extent, streams of notes which are created and controlled by varying rule setting methods.
This piece started as an experiment using Noatikl which I have had much fun with and recommend you have a play with if you like programming type toys. So far it seems very promising as a tool to provide the base from which to start constructing a piece. The best way to use it, it seems to me, is to set the rules to something interesting, try and retry until it seems to be about right, the let it do what it is built for, to iterate until you have a piece that suits as a basis for development, then capture the output as a Midi stream into Logic or similar.
Once you have the Midi output from Noatikl, the other 90% of the work remains with a fair bit of jiggery pokery, chopping and changing, assigning voices and instruments, and then endless mixing, balancing and fine tuning.